LOOKING FOR 5-8 VIETNAMESE VOLUNTEERS FOR THE 2018 KIDS' CAMP AND 11-13 VIETNAMESE VOLUNTEERS FOR THE 2018 SUMMER CAMP!
ETA4 - Who we are & What we do
ETA4 is short for: English Through Academics, Athletics, and the Arts Abroad. As a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization, our mission is to create a unique education environment that fosters diversity, curiosity and creativity whose impact lasts far beyond the scope of the program. To achieve this mission, we operate annual English Summer Camps & English events in underprivileged communities. ETA4 provides a unique learning experience because we implement non-conventional teaching practices and activities that incorporate athletics and art into our curriculum. We have a passion for social justice and try our best to introduce our students to a wide variety of topics including: environmental pollution, sexual education, sexuality, discrimination, gender and more during our Social Awareness Week. Our biggest and only operation location this year is in Hue, Viet Nam.
The general timeline for the year is as follows:
|Jan - Feb||Volunteer Recruitment|
|Feb - May||Online Training; Fundraising events; Outreach events; Program Planning|
|Jun - Aug||On-Site training; Summer Camp|
This year, ETA4 Camps are operating for six (6) weeks from June 23 to August 5.
|Week 1||On-Site Training|
Kids' Camp & Summer Camp!
This year, ETA4 is restructuring our program introducing two Camps targeting two different populations. Kids' Camp is designed to cater toward students age 5-10. It will focus on outdoor physical activities and art while exposing students to English as a second language. Our aim is to facilitate latent learning while being creative and having fun.
Summer Camp, on the other hand, targets students ages 11+. This camp will have a heavier emphasis on lesson content while still encouraging athletics and the arts. The curriculum includes conventional English lesson plans as well as non-conventional content, such as cultural exchange and social justice issues. It also allows space for volunteers to be creative and facilitate topics which are of their interest and strengths.
Volunteer Position Description
At ETA4, volunteers support the facilitation of the English Summer Camps & events, and are integral in contributing to the achievement of the ETA4’s mission.
This is an excellent opportunity for those with a background or interest in education, childhood development, athletics, arts, social justice, cultural exchange and more; and who are comfortable dealing with students ranging from children to adults.
As an ETA4 Volunteer, you will receive extensive training regarding lesson planning, effective lesson delivery, classroom management, and cultural differences before and after arriving on site.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Commit to attend ETA4’s online training workshops, fundraising campaign and outreach events prior to Camps
- Commit to engage in on-site training and weekly meetings throughout the duration of the program
Together with a US/international volunteer, facilitate a designated class for the Camps including but not limited to
- Prepare necessary materials, fun, engaging and age appropriate activities for each class
- Keep children active and help them develop skills, teamwork
- Maintain a safe atmosphere
- Be a positive role model for all students
Skills and Qualifications
- Vietnamese volunteers (VVs) are required to be residents of Hue, Viet Nam who are fluent in English. Vietnamese residents outside of Hue who want to volunteer can apply, but selection will be based on accommodation arrangement & availability on a case to case basis
- VVs might be the only bilingual (English/Vietnamese) leader in the classroom and need to be prepared to facilitate communication
- Highly flexible and adaptable
- Have strong interpersonal and communication skills and be able to work as part of a team
- Have the ability to perform multiple tasks concurrently and to think and act creatively on the go
- Comfortable speaking in front of large groups
KIDS' CAMP VOLUNTEERS
- Highly active and outgoing
- Good with outdoor and physical activities
- Comfortable working with children age 5-10
SUMMER CAMP VOLUNTEERS
- Having interest in social justice issues is an advantage
- Comfortable working with adolescents and adults
- Ability to manage a boisterous classroom
- Being critical and enjoy discussions, debates