Please see below for common questions potential volunteers ask us. The purpose of this page is to give you all of the information you need prior to applying to be an ETA4 volunteer.
- As a volunteer, what is included in the program and what do I have to pay for?
- What is the average cost for a volunteer?
- What commitments are required of me as a volunteer?
- What if I can't commit the full 6 weeks to the program?
As an ETA4 volunteer, the following expenses are covered during your trip:
1. Accommodations (all hotel expenses, including laundry)
2. 2 meals a day, 5 days a week (typically breakfast and lunch, Monday through Friday)
3. Supplies for your classroom (arts/athletic supplies, etc.)
What ETA4 volunteers are responsible for:
1. Your plane ticket(s) from your country of origin to the location of the camp in Vietnam (although we can help with this by helping you fundraise - just ask us!)
2. Your transportation while in-country (including motorbike rental)
3. Costs for food and activities in your free time (weekday nights, weekends, before or after the program)
Below are some of the average costs you can expect to pay as an ETA4 volunteer:
- Plane travel to camp location - $1200-$1500
- In-country food - $150
- In-country transportation - $150
- Extra activities (travel, souvenirs, etc.) - $200 - $400
Remember, your room, board and weekday food are paid for by ETA4 as part of the program.
Besides the 6 week program, what else do I have to do?
In addition to the 6 weeks abroad (which includes 1 week of training and 5 weeks of teaching), volunteers are expected to attend monthly training and learning workshops online, beginning in March 2017. Volunteers are also expected to participate in local and online fundraising, marketing and outreach activities.
I really want to volunteer and help out, but work/school is in the way. Help!
Applicants who are unable to commit the entire 6 weeks to the summer program can always apply for a Volunteer Assistant (VA) position and be considered on a case by case basis. You can learn more about what a VA does here. If you are applying for a VA position, please add a note in your application letting us know.